Thursday, July 25, 2013

Welcome to your NEW NORMAL!

When my Daddy passed away in 2010, I really felt the sting and the emptiness of his passing for months; however, I felt it worse during Thanksgiving. It just didn't seem right that he wasn't here. Christmas was even harder. I just wanted to be by myself on Christmas Day 2010.  I just couldn't grasp that he was gone and not coming back, no matter how much I wanted him to.  On March 4, 2011 (his birthday) I felt the pain of not being able to call him and say "Hey there Ol' Man! Happy Birthday".  Then Father's Day came and for the first time I wasn't able to spend any time with him on Father's Day or get him anything.

Then, it was Thanksgiving again. Thanksgiving 2011.  My Daddy was now gone for over a year now. However, this Thanksgiving was different. It didn't feel the same as the one in 2010.  Yes, my Daddy was still not here, but it didn't feel as painful. Neither was Christmas. I realized that I was understanding that I was now accepting that I was in my NEW NORMAL.

It was so very abnormal for my Daddy, who was always so full of life and laughter, to not be around during holidays with all of us; however, I had to come to accept that he's gone, in a better place and wanting me to be happy and carry on with my life. It is now 2013 and my outlook is totally different now.

Do I still think about my Daddy? EVERYDAY!!

Do I still wish he was here with me?  EVERYDAY!!

Have I realized that my life has to move forward?  YES, NOW I have!

Why am I sharing this with you? Because I want you to know and understand that in your life you are going to have a series of NEW NORMALS that you are going to have to accept and adjust to.


  • If you are trying to lose weight and wanting to keep the weight off and maintain a healthy lifestyle, you are going to need a NEW NORMAL. 
  • If you are dealing and reeling from the loss of a loved one, you are going to have to develop and maintain a NEW NORMAL.
  • If you receive a diagnosis from your doctor that will require a change in diet, exercise or medication, you are going to have to develop a NEW NORMAL.


Some NEW NORMALS you are going to have to CREATE.  You want a new job, a new house or new car, you may have to develop a NEW NORMAL to have the funds available to pay for or maintain those things. Creating and sticking to a budget requires a NEW NORMAL of changing and monitoring your spending habits.

I can tell you one thing from my personal experience. If you don't create a NEW NORMAL, you will be set in your OLD WAYS, OLD MINDSET AND OLD SITUATIONS.

We have to constantly create NEW NORMALS for ourselves throughout our lives. Some we can control, others we have to adapt to but in either case, it is necessary for all of us to do.

Now that you have the information, you are accountable and responsible for your actions. So in other words....

WELCOME TO YOUR NEW NORMAL!

Sharpen Your Edge and your life won't be Dull.

I am, The Sharp One

1 comment:

  1. I understand the NEW NORMAL. It's only been six months since Momma passed. I miss her EVERYDAY, but I know that I have to move forward. She wouldn't want me to stand still. This NEW NORMAL is one to which I've had to adapt, but I am working hard on actively creating some NEW NORMALS as well. I ask for prayers of peace, focus, and strength as these new situations come whether I want them to or not.

    ReplyDelete